The SWANTM Program is geared towards RPN, LPN and Diploma RNs who want to advance their knowledge in the areas in Wound, Ostomy and Continence. Upon completion they will be eligible to use the SWAN designation.
What is the SWANTM Program?
The Nurses Specialized in Wound, Ostomy and Continence Canada (NSWOCC) Wound, Ostomy and Continence (WOC) Institute, developed the Skin Wellness Associate Nurse (SWANTM) Program in response to the growing need in Canada for healthcare professionals with advanced wound, ostomy and continence knowledge. The NSWOCC and WOC-Institute developed the paced online SWANTM education program as a means to support and empower NSWOCs and improve clinical outcomes by enhancing wound, ostomy and continence care teams. The SWANTM program prepares non-specialty nurses to provide basic, bedside wound, ostomy and continence care.
The goal of the SWANTM Program is to educate and prepare more skilled wound, ostomy and continence nurses across the spectrum of care (e.g. acute care, long-term care and homecare). Graduates will have an enhanced ability to provide optimal care for individuals with wound, ostomy and continence issues as members of a collaborative NSWOC team. The program is designed to provide non-specialty nurses the ability to provide optimal wound, ostomy and continence care under the direction of the NSWOC, Clinical Nurse Specialist (Wound, Ostomy or Continence) or Physician and to be integral members of the WOC team.
- Two cohorts per year starting in February and August respectively.
- Courses are four (4) months long.
- Integumentary System
- Continence Care
- $3,000 Tuition
- $50 Course Administration Fee
- $100 NSWOCC membership: “WOC Student Associate Membership” registration fee
Please check your provincial nursing association for potential funding opportunities!
- College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Association of New Brunswick Licensed Practical Nurses
- Registered Practical Nurses Association of Ontario
- College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Prince Edward Island (CLPNPEI)
- Ordre des infirmières et infirmiers auxiliaires du Québec
- College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Manitoba
- Saskatchewan Association of Licensed Practical Nurses
- College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta
- British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals